How to Find the Courage To Trust After Being HurtMay 20, 2020
In Episode 24 of The Dr. Cloud Show, we had a caller who wanted to discuss some of the betrayal she's experienced in previous relationships, and how it was affecting her current relationship with her boyfriend.
According to the caller, she said that her boyfriend had not done anything to hurt or betray her a year into their relationship, but she was living with anxiety about the possibility of it happening.
This is something that comes up a lot ... Someone was hurt in a former relationship, and they carry those hurtful experiences into new relationships. They see patterns of a previous mate and think that those patterns automatically translate into red flags in a new relationship. While that might be true in some instances, I'm going to give you a 5-step checklist to work towards trust in your future relationships.
Ask yourself these questions:
1. Does your partner understand your needs?
2. Do you feel like their motives and intentions are for you?
3. Do they have the competencies to have a relationship?
4. How is their character? Are they faithful? Do they have patience and compassion?
5. How is their track record? Do they have a history of being there for you and giving you what you need?
Click on the video above to listen to this conversation.